Student Visas

Applying for a Student Visa 

For an international student applying for the first student visa, you will need to provide the following documents (*these only apply to general situations):


     ➲Offer of place or Confirmation of enrolment

     ➲Meet health and character requirements

     ➲Show that you have sufficient funds to pay the tuition fees and living costs

Every foreign fee-paying student will be required to have medical and travel insurance.  

Guardian of a Student Visa

If the student visa holder is less than 10 years old, the legal guardian must accompany the student to New Zealand by applying for a guardian of a student visa. On the other hand, parents who want to accompany their children to study can also apply for this visa. However, the child must be 17 years or younger, and only one parent or legal guardian can be granted this visa even if there is more than 1 child studying in New Zealand. Guardians who wish to work or study may apply for a variation of conditions to their visitor visa. However, they are only allowed to work part-time between 9:30am and 2:30pm Monday to Friday, or do part-time study.


Q. Can I work while studying?


A. It depends on your visa conditions. 

➥Generally speaking, if you are a tertiary student who enrolls in a two-year full-time program, or if you are studying in Years 12 or 13, you can work up to 20 hours per week during the course of study; and full-time during the summer vacation.

➥If you are enrolled in a Masters by research or doctoral degree program, you will be eligible for unlimited work rights. That means there are no restrictions on the number of hours you can work.


Q. Can I work in New Zealand after completing my studies?

A. Depending on your qualification, you may be eligible to apply for a Post-Study work visa after you successfully complete your program of study. The currency of a Post-Study work visa depends on the qualification gained, ranging from 1 year to 3 years.


Q. Can I bring my partner? 

A. If you hold a student visa to study for a 

◦ level 9 or 10 qualification; or 

◦ level 7 or 8 qualification in an area of absolute skill shortage,

then your partner* can apply for a Special Work Visa with work rights in New Zealand. 

➥Partners of other student visa holders can apply for a visitor visa.

(*A partner will need to meet the requirements of partnership set by Immigration New Zealand.)


Q. Can my dependent children study in New Zealand as domestic students?

A. If you hold a student visa to study:

◦ A PhD program; or 

◦ An exchange program approved by the New Zealand Government.

➥Your dependent children may be eligible for a visa as a domestic student to study at a primary or secondary school level. 


Also, if you hold a Partner of a Student Work Visa (a work visa based on partnership with a student visa holder), your dependent children can also study in New Zealand as domestic students.